Friday, 4 May 2012

Something I want to say ...

a shadow of my former self

Time is running out ... If you follow more than one of my blogs (thankyou, I appreciate your interest and kindness), you will see this week that all posts overlap - with virtually similar content. Best, I thought, to make simultaneous announcements. So why?

With my professional work now crossing several genres, and a necessary change in our lifestyle due to various 'happenings', it seemed sensible to re-evaluate my blogs and the purpose for which each was created - a resume of why they were started and how they have adapted to subsequent factors - which I here share with you, my readers. Although each blog is an entity in itself, they all interlink; the sum of the whole is greater than the constituent parts. Click on any of the blog titles to take you there (apart of course from this one, because you're here, and reading it now!) And when - or if - you do click, ignore the latest post which is a replica of these first two paragraphs, and trace my blogging story back to its beginnings.

Wild Somerset Child: my first blog, in which initially I wrote about everything under the sun, until I came to a point where certain topics 'asked' to have space of their own. Which they now have. So this, my "wild child",  has very much become a blog of personal joys and tribulations; our daily toil, delights and occurrences. A blog which, like my dear husband, and my children and grandchildren, will always hold a special place in my heart.

Journaling the Journal grew out of the first blog: it is the creative side of me. A strange title, perhaps. It tells a story - many stories - of the journals I write and make, in paper and cloth, within notebooks, on maps, illustrated and embellished, but always focussed on word-whispers, with ever-recurring themes of natural history and my passion for place. 'JJ' also now provides mini-tutorials as more magazine articles are commissioned by various editors.

Grandma's Garden Notes: I have to admit that this was begun in haste to coincide with blogging live at a gardening show I was covering professionally. So its style had to be different; but somehow it never gelled and in my mind became mixed with imaginary gardens, a cloth book I was working on at the time and a strange dream I once had, which became a stitched sampler! GGN has been in abeyance for a while and I am somewhat ambivalent about its re-emergence, or even its continued existence.

Dobies of Devon Gardening Companion: actually, it was the commissioning of this professional blog that has superseded Grandma's Garden! It was a great honour to be asked to do this - weekly - to augment the monthly online e-newsletter I was already writing for them. The blog is a compendium of words, images and ideas to inspire gardeners 'young, old and in-between'; information and, in my usual style, part diary of our gardening endeavours. (No extra story here; just the blog; the background is immaterial.)

Traveller's Tales also grew out commissioned work, though I am writing it independently - and only created it this week!  As Travel Editor of 'Discover Touring' magazine I receive so much material that can never be used because DT is only published twice a year, and thus much fascinating news never reaches readers, for it arrives in the interim period. And I've designed  TT to "inform and beguile readers, with previews of activities and events, updates on places to visit and things to do; and all interspersed with our own touring tales - my travel writer's diary". Wherever I go, you will find me with notebook in hand, writing. (No extra story here; just the new blog.)

A Book-Lover's Journey is also close to my heart. Sub-titled 'an impassioned reader's  guide to books new and old', it relates another side of me: my love of words and books, and the influence upon my life of my grandfather and great-grandfather. Without their unequivocal love, I would not be writing these words now, over 70 years after first realising that books - and words - were precious things. Yet BLJ, too, is semi-professional; with posts incorporating reviews of the many books I receive int he course of other work. And it was always intended to include interviews with authors. But circumstances intervened, and at present, much to my distress, it is the poor relation.

And so you see how things now stand. My life revolves around my husband, family, home, garden, creative mixed-media art; and of course commissioned work, without which it would be difficult to survive ... and time is running out. Dear readers, I treasure your following, and your comments, and can only apologise if I am forgetful and do not respond as I aught. With my very best wishes (and still at heart a 'wild child'), Ann. xx



18 comments:

  1. Dear Ann,
    Thank you so very, very much for posting your blogs. I will stop sometime this weekend, and read. I have been so buried in garden, home, and "happenings" that I have to take the time to read my blog friends and see what everyone is doing.
    Have a lovely, peaceful weekend, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind comments. I know how you feel about becoming involved with all that is happening around one; I too have missed the camaraderie of friends' posts and must make the time to read more rather than write. All the best, A,

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a full and lovely life you have, I love that you are living them through your various blogs. Thank you so much for stopping by 7 Year Wedding. I hope the area that you wallpaper turns out well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my full life, even though it takes me unawares at times; but I would not wish it otherwise. Thanks for reading, and responding.

      Delete
  3. Morning Ann. It is always so difficult to keep all your creative plates spinning equally, and the danger is always to spread yourself too thinly when other parts of your life take priority. Partner and family always come first, so I expect at the moment you are spinning those plates frantically or leaping to catch them before they fall and break.

    I hope that you will be able to prioritize those things which put most demands on your time, and we will wait patiently in the wings.

    Try not to overdo things. Jennie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you, when I have been guilty of not visiting. Most time the plates are dancing; occasionally there's a crash and I am left picking up the pieces, and have to start over. But that's as it's always been. Early night, I think!

      Delete
  4. Fascinating post, Ann. Podcasters reach a point where they can no longer go on with their regular podcasts. They refer to it as 'Podfade'. I guess in Blogdom, 'Blog Fatigue' would be a good way of describing it. Pressure of work has seen my neglect some of my blogs. I have different ones because the subjects call for them. That said, it wasn't helped by my finding the benefits of Groups and Pages on Facebook and that has added to the pressure. Phew!

    I am now struggling to take things easier and, perhaps, focus more on quality rather thn quantity. It will also leave me more time to enjoy other peoples blogs - especially yours! One of which has encouraged me to dig out an altered book I started but discarded many years ago. That said, this morning I am experimenting with Tumblr as a blogging outlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to have your thoughts, Laurie. I think I;m suffering from blogitis - just love to create and build something knew, when the moment strikes. Something is always the catalyst. Pressure pulls us in so many ways, and new technology has me practising new skills (the WSC post was undertaken on my new 'lion' laptop, though it froze half-way through). And I'd just love to see your altered book; do take before and after pics. I'm trying something new whilst at Malvern, and aim to post on the journaling blog. (And now maybe I should look at Tumblr?)

      Delete
  5. All your hard work - I feel quite guilty I don't keep up with your other blogs too! Time really is a luxury, that's why I had to drop my second blog a few weeks ago. It's important to make space for yourself in amongst all the other calls on your time. I hope you manage to find a balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonia. Balance here comes in fits and starts - work, weather, inspiration; but I do make time when I 'play', as a treat to myself after a busy stretch of being and doing.

      Delete
  6. Yes - i am having a step back too - so much time needing to be spent elsewhere. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splitting oneself between too many topics and activities is never easy; I feel more rested today. Good to hear from you (and I just MUST catch up with all your news.) A.x

      Delete
  7. Ann wishing you and R all the best. It is good to take a step back and re-evaluate. I've cut back my blogs to one. Spend your time taking care of you and R. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, it seems so long since I communicated properly; and I wish you were not so far away, for I'd love to have you join me during Warwickshire Open Studios in my caravan - though whether I will ever be ready is another matter! A. x

      Delete
  8. Hi Ann. I too have many blogs and have found it a struggle to tend to all of them with equal love. That's why Veg Plotting (my first) always has first call. Sometimes, perhaps like children we have to let them go?

    Hope to see you at Malvern this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will certainly be at Malvern, and have again set myself the challenge to post on every blog each day (last year, Blogger crashed world-wide which meant me re-doing what would not save). Strange thing about children; you let them go with love and hugs, but they return and you continue to nurture them.

      See you next week. x

      Delete
  9. I have always admired your ability to create more than one blog as I know how difficult it can be to find the time for just one. I look forward to following whichever blog/blogs you decide to keep going. Hoping that you both enjoy Malvern and do not feel too pressurised by the work that goes alongside these visits. Take care. DWx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DW, Thankyou for your kind words - they are so much appreciated as we (dear husband and I) juggle our changed circumstances. Ax

      Delete