Tuesday, 18 October 2011

As the years roll by ...

The two of us - my Facebook followers will have seen this already, but it was taken on a day we were actually relaxing and doing nothing - which is unusual for us
Today is my birthday and now (aged 74) I move into my 75th year. It's been a lovely day; quiet with time to play (unusual for me). Despite a more than usually strenuous twelve months, I am grateful for so many things: my beloved husband who is so supportive of all I do; our three amazing children and nine very special grandchildren; my extended family, friends and acquaintances; our home and garden; and my health, even if it does wobble from time to time, and I frequently think I am going senile!  My hobbies rejuvenate me - words, paper and textiles scrambled into mixed-media creations and my many illustrated journals. I am a poor correspondent and owe letters or emails to so many people; I can only apologise and wish I could make more hours in the day. I know I should do so.

issue two - just published
And I am grateful to all those who still offer me work, without which it would be difficult to survive. Magazine commissions proliferate; sometimes I remember to post them on Facebook - usually I forget. But the one that has consumed most of my time these last months has been the title for which I have been engaged as Travel Editor ('Discover Touring'). That was some task: researching, collecting and editing all the material and images to cover the ten UK tourist regions. Eventually it was done (and my role was but a very small contribution to the whole); the result is an issue of which I am so proud to have been a part. It should be on sale now in WHSmith - I know this is a bit of a hard sell but this is only the second issue and it deserves to be better known. If you are into touring by caravan or motorhome, or even camping, here or abroad, do take a look.

11 comments:

  1. happy birthday. what a large family you have. and you are so lucky to have writing jobs the way you do. hope your day is special in every way. hugs, suki

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps my word verification was Libragis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Happy Returns Ann hope it has been a lovely day and that the family have made a fuss of you too. Just enjoy each day as it comes and memory comes and goes (at 52 I frequently forget and then remember at weird and wonderful times). My father's belief was that it is about keeping yourself occupied and as Poirot would say keep the little grey cells working.

    Take care and hope you have many more lovely birthdays to come

    Best wishes

    Tricia (aka Pattypan)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 75th Birthday. Wishing you continuing good health, strong creative mind, and a job to do. Happiness comes to you for your grand attitude.

    We do travel, well almost, we are not living in our RV, and will be leaving in March 2012.

    Thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely it all seems and what is great is that you Know it! Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! Today would have been my mum's birthday also.. if she were alive she would have turned 110 today.
    Nice magazine.. you are so talented..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday,Ann.
    Mine was last Thursday, the 13th, 53 to be exact.
    I wish you much wonderful time and enjoyment of life.
    Take care.
    Denimflyz in Nebraska, US

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, glad you had such a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on what sounds like a huge but delightful task. And Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a tad late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A belated happy birthday, Ann!! And congratulations on the magazine.

    ReplyDelete