Friday, 15 April 2011

Letting Go


Something very significant happened to me last weekend - the beginning of a slicing away of my life and possessions. Something so simple, the gift of three marbles to a grandson (one of nine grandchildren) - he reached double figures and not thinking of gifts, swam 5K (three-plus miles) for a Cancer Relief charity. 

He showed me a pottery dish he had made at school to hold his marble collection, and I recalled how many times he had lovingly fingered much of the ephemera in our old house that I have collected over the years. Three marbles? Shot-silk miniature glass globes that sat on the cluttered kitchen dresser. I cannot even recall where or why I bought them. I loved them, but it's time to start letting go. Time to stop hoarding.

I wrapped them individually in tissue paper, and put them in a little bag. But my simple gift was as nothing compared to that made for him by his grandfather. Raymond has made (and I do not have a photo) the most exquisite seven-drawer miniature marquetry cabinet to hold D's swimming medals. That was a true gift of love for a little boy, hours in the making; my marbles pale into insignificance.

11 comments:

  1. I am sure he will treasure both gifts xJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being that I do not have my loving grandparents with me anymore, I am most sure that what you have presented him is a truly beautiful and loving gift he will adore always.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how our season of collecting and gathering gives way to one of disbursement and bestowing? I'm finding that to be true for myself in the last few years. The joy of the one receiving is a gentle reward, as is the gift of releasing our treasures to a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a blessed young man to have grandparents who would give such gifts of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How precious is that,I think he will always remember these gifts above all that follow..I also started to give my things to the family, recently to my daughter and daughter in law all the earings and jewellery that I never wear,what good is it in a box not that there was any great worth but both were thrilled,more to go yet as I look about me lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. But a lifetime of hoarding means that you do now have the wonderful pleasure of letting go and giving to those who appreciate it and will treasure those items.
    That's currently my new excuse for hoarding anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know your grandson will treasure both gifts and the love they were given with.

    I too, have decided to part with the things I have collected over the years. We had a very successful stall at a recent Antiques Fair/Fleamarket and I am now going through old collections, ready to let someone else enjoy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful gift and I know Raymond's cabinet had to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That has reminded me of when I was 15. I got my first pony and I gave my precious bag of marbles to my younger brother (he was 10). I guess I was moving on to more exciting things. Funny enough, I have started collecting them again in my 30's....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post...I hope he will love and cherish them as you have....

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be very liberating to let go. We have been doing this for my mother as she sold the family home. The fewer the possessions the lighter the load.

    How lovely to pass on your treasures to those you love.

    ReplyDelete