Saturday, 18 December 2010

Snow Birds

You might not think this was taken in colour, so fast fell the snow, until you spot the bird feeding on the bird-table - taken through a somewhat dirty double-glazed window.

We awoke to a light dusting of snow, knowing that more was forecast. Gradually, as the light grew, a few light flakes, like gessoed drizzle. Birds approached the bird-table: robin, chaffinches, tits - great-, coal- and blue-, then a flock of greenfinches. And almost unawares as I de-cluttered our kitchen shelves, a thrush: not one but two, chasing each other off. At first, he - I assume it was a he, ATE snow, sitting low within an evergreen shrub. 

Snow-crystals descending in a whirl as, imperceptibly, the dusting became a frozen deluge, a white wonder. And the thrush moved under the shelter of an overhanging box-bush, gorging on the red berries of Cotoneaster horizontalis. Suddenly he is on the bird-table, attacking the suet fat-ball; he feeds for a whole half-hour, defending the territory against all comers. Unusual behaviour, this; and both birds feed, taking turns - differentiated by the slightly different markings on their breast.

The snow continues to fall all day, a soft white blanket, ever-deepening as the hours proceed. Everywhere so perfectly quiet; and best of all, the sound of silence; nothing is moving, only the hungry birds outside our kitchen window, and me, photographing them through the window.

9 comments:

  1. It is quite beautiful... as snow always is when first it touches the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quiet when it snows, all sounds are muffled and it's so eerie and beautiful. We've had quite a lot of snow in Banbury- we even made the national news this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter wonder survival story. Great photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took several on friday afer the first fall and they also look black and white, in fact I really liked one of a tree, which reminds me of a pencil drawing.
    No thrushes here, but huge amounts of starlings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic description here and the photo looks to be in black and white to me. Thanks for providing another glimpse of snow. It's so different for us here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really will have a white Christmas...we had just a dusting a week or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good words to describe the slow blanketing effect of a snow fall. Reading this I dreamed myself back into Vermont winters and saw again the snow and the bird feeder outside my window there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My birdies are rejecting their fat balls...I think they are too spoilt by bird lovers on my street...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so pretty! I love the Thrush and what fun it is to watch the birds from our lovely , warm houses!
    I confess though, I've had enough now. Snow is hard work!
    Happy and warm Christmas to you. xx

    ReplyDelete