Monday, 18 October 2010

Birthday Girl !


Today I am 73 years young, amazed to have survived another year after many a trauma and yet so much hidden happiness and joy. The tiny champagne candles say it all - they signify the last three years; the previous 70 receding day-by-day into the mists of time. It has been such a gentle celebration, from the early morning mug of tea brought me when I was scarce awake to this evening's candlelit three-course meal prepared for me by my dear, long-suffering husband. Champagne to toast still being around (actually a cheap Spanish Cava) and finishing our supper with sweet muscat grapes from the greenhouse - the vine survived the time in 1999 when I set the greenhouse on fire. I seem quite good at the pyrotechnics! (see last post).


A trip into town to post letters allowed me to treat myself to a quantity of antique canvas-backed maps (practically as old as I am!) from which to make concertina travel journals. At such a knock-down price, I could not resist them; have in fact been buying the odd one or two for months; but today I was told they were all to be thrown out and would I like the lot ?? You bet; twenty have been added to my stash. I can hardly bear to re-purpose them, for they tell such a tale of social history, how places have altered and grown .. I will not spoil my birthday by bemoaning creeping suburbia, the loss of landscape, or the sanitising of the countryside.


The sun shone; leaves scuttered across the road, swirling in the chilling wind. I think on how lucky I am to still be alive, after two previous health scares; and contemplate even more on all the pictures I will shoot with the lovely new camera Raymond has given me, "so you can take photographs of a professional standard." It won't be the fault of the camera if I don't. I learn how to switch it on (!); am terrified of damaging it. Realise it will be brilliant, once I have mastered its intricacies and made it do what I want it to do. Which is far more arty than Raymond would like, but I will try to live up to his expectations. As the light fades I take my first photo - more grapes (ones suitable for making wine); I've set the camera on auto and (which is brilliant) it somehow stops the fruit and leaves from being blown every which-way: my usual problem, for you would think we live here in an aeronautical wind-tunnel. The moment I decide to take pics, up springs half a gale!


And so to the end of a perfect day, with flowers from my daughter's garden, emails and an e-card from one son, a phone-call from Iceland from the other, and 'happy birthday' sung to me down the telephone by three of our grandchildren. As I enter my 74th year, I make a birthday resolution - one which I hope I am sufficiently strong-willed to keep. This time next year, I'll tell you if I have succeeded.


And so to bed ... and I send love and best wishes to all my blogging friends and acquaintances, indeed to bloggers everywhere; for blogs have added immeasurably to my life and I do not know where I would be without such friendship.

28 comments:

  1. Wishing you a Happy Birthday. Your grapes look so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many birthday blessings Ann - what a great day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post from a lovely person. May you have the happiest of days!

    happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very very happy birthday to you Ms. Libra. Camera sounds great. And your celebrations too. Those grapes are so beautiful, the colors a wonder. Be well, suki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best happy birthday wishes to you! I do like the sound of your celebration.

    And please do remember to report in on how that birthday resolution evolves.

    I do share your appreciation of how much fun this blogging bit can be. How many connections we do achieve.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just visiting your "journaling" blog and noted that your profile had been altered to add another year. So pleased that it has been a lovely day and that you found the time to share aspects of it.
    I am sometimes frustrated by the unexpected [!] aspects of aging--being slower, less agile, but what a good thing to celebrate all the creative things we can still accomplish and the joys of observing and recording our particular bit of countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very hsappy Birthday to you!May you nget much enjoyment from that new camera..I adoe mine and use it constantly.By the way they are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, hope you post some of your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much. I awoke this morning with such a sense of excitement, thinking of the people and the things I love. And then to find so many good wishes, and an email from my best friend was, as they say, the icing on the cake. A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy, happy birthday! Glad you had a wonderful day - here's to 365 more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like special day. May you have many, many more wonderful birthdays!Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you a very happy and inspirational birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful birthday present of maps! Can't wait to see what you do with them.
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. A most joyous Birthday greeting and many more.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many Happy Returns of the Day! I can feel your gratitude and appreciation of all you have and have experienced and learned coming all across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodmorning, I am just catching up with my blogs and find you have had a lovely birthday full of love,and i imagine the maps just made your day. You bring so much to my little world with your travels and your sensitive thoughts,you are a blessing to us all.I am so glad you had a lovely birthday and my favourite part when it is mine is that phone call and the little voices singing at the other end and I don't care if I dont hear from another sole my day has been made.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just catching up (after being a bit under the weather) and we are so sorry we missed your birthday. We truly treasure your comments and your 'long distance blog' friendship. It sounds like you had a wonderful day, and we wish you nothing but happiness in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 73 years young indeed. I know of no one younger. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am late with my birthday wishes, but they still come from my heart! I wish you a most wonderful, healthy, fun and magical 74th year!! Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  20. An across the miles Happy Birthday wish - albeit a couple of days late!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very happy birthday Wild Somerset Child! I hope you stay wild and a child at heart into your 74th year, though hope is not really necessary as I'm sure you will. Thank you for commenting on my blog of late. It's always tough when my muse runs away and I can't seem to be able to paint (and it's not for lack of trying). But your words have lifted my spirits. And I assure you there's no way my posts could put yours to shame. This post in particular made my heart swell with happiness - I only hope my birthday will be just as wonderful. As for your Greek, on that I cannot comment. Although...Αν ξέρετε Ελληνικά, μήπως να θα γράψετε κάτι στα Ελληνικά για μας;

    All the best for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well I'm a couple of days late but still wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Happy Birthday, you say you are 73 but your heart seems 37..so, just by switching the numbers we create magic. I see the treasure of maps you got, I see one is of Cornwall in England..one of the most beautifulest Counties there..small towns, long beach coastlines and there is no time there. Maybe there is no time. Happy Blessed birthday, I am glad I came across your blog. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Happy Birthday. I enjoyed your blog and will keep eye on your from the heart writing. We enjoy Cornwall very much, and try to visit in summers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a bit behind on blog reading and just saw this post! I so hope you had a wonderfully happy birthday and that you have many, many more!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy belated birthday! And congrats on your new camera - although your photos are quite nice as they are now! Hope this is a truly wonderful year for you.

    ReplyDelete