Sunday, 21 March 2010

Spring at Last !

'Daffs in a Pot' - watercolour, March 2000

It is officially Spring, and never has a season been more welcome, after the prolonged harsh weather and an over-cold house with only a modicum of heating. The wind has turned to the south-west; a rain-washed morning. We have survived and have already begun the Spring-cleaning of the garden. Many of my beloved herbs succumbed to the low temperatures, but the soil is beautifully friable after weeks of frost. Growth is late, tree buds just showing that swelling of the sepals that is the forerunner of green leaves to come. Crocus shine in 'the plum patch', the blue stars of chionodoxa are just emerging and suddenly too my miniature daffodils poke their sunlit blooms through their winter leafmold blanket.

This will be a short post; it's heads down here at Ivy House, non-stop work and projects that can now be attempted: flinging open of doors and windows; a sorting of 'the office' and workspace; Raymond back in his workshop, and me scribbling, or rather keyboarding - and making time to sew.

The pic above was one I attempted at a watercolour class I attended ten years ago. The tutor was a lovely lady who always wanted us to 'paint large' - I found this really hard as I tend to create small, in miniature. We had to take in a pot of bulbs for one class, so I dug the little daffs out of the garden, stuck them in a pot, and they fell over in the car on my way to class, which didn't improve them, or my mood, and I never finished the painting. It was one of those days; I am sure we all have them when nothing seems to go according to plan.

But not all days are a downside: the poem that follows is part of a much longer one I wrote in 1970 - thirty years ago; to me it still so perfectly expresses my feelings of today, I decided to share it.


Finally, huge thankyou to all those who have been leaving me messages or sending me emails. I do so appreciate your kind comments. Always full of good intentions, I flag them for a reply, and there they sit in my in-box, languishing. I will try to do better.

15 comments:

  1. Warmest Spring wishes Ann. It has been a long time coming, but it is nice to be able to appreciate it in it's own time. I love your watercolour and poem. Everything is so joyous right now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see someone else likes the word 'burgeoning'! After all, it is the essence of Spring rolled into one. Thanks for the poem and daffs to round it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy spring. I like your little painting and your poem sounds a little Dylan Thomasy. No heat? I dont know if I could bear it. The only thing that gets me through the winter is keeping the house warm inside. Wasting fossil fuels. Enjoy your spring chores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy spring Ann!! I'm so excited to be back planning gardens and digging in the dirt again.
    I love your watercolor.. you're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely picture and poem...happy spring ☼

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the daffs in the painting and also your poem. Yes, spring has arrived here, with a span of days in which only a sweater, or perhaps a tee shirt was required. Quite a change from the wooly layers we've been wrapping ourselves in.

    I know what you mean about it having been a busy week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to get some fresh air in the house..love it when you can fling the windows open.....
    The water colour is simply gorgeous...
    Take care
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder words of Spring hope and I love the unfinished daffodil painting and the thirty year old poem.

    Happy, Happy, Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful the seasons are! and how lucky we are to have them here in the Uk! I love the seasons and Spring is the beginning.....................!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your painting...this was the first year we didnt have daffs at the mothers day service last week because theywere too expensive so its lovely spring is here at last, although a little slower up this end...hope you are well and sending love..H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our house has been cold this winter too (and is more so now we have had to turn the c. heating off for reasons of economy) so I too welcome spring and slightly warmer days. It is now warmer outside than in! It's lovely to get on out in the garden though and the reent rain has kick-started the daffs. What a lovely watercolour and the poem is excellent. Made me think back to 1970 and what I was doing then, when I was 18 and full of dreams . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the poem. It gave me goose bumps. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stumbled across your blog and want to let you know that I'll be returning. What a pleasant place to visit! It's nice to hear that spring has sprouted somewhere too. I'm not that much further north than you (up at the top of Ireland) but it's been struggling to show its face here for a while now. Hopefully its on its way northwards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take no notice of people who tell you to paint large, whoever heard of such a notion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness Ann, you paint too! And you do paint - that is beautiful. Our daffodils are just past their peak, but we have hyacinths, tulips and some mystery plants about to pop. Love spring, Keep painting!

    ReplyDelete