Saturday, 27 March 2010

Seventy million shades

such a find - I had to share it

Whilst researching an article on 'Colour Theory in the Garden' early in 2006, I immersed myself in books and colour charts for weeks, so much so that it obviously 'coloured' my entire life that winter. The article was published, I moved on, as one does - I always have a body of work on the go - until last week when I unearthed some words I obviously felt moved to write at the time, scribbled on a piece of paper. Such a jumble, a stream of consciousness, written without a single alteration. Typing it up and reading it again four years later, I recalled how at the time my head seemed to explode with colour for weeks on end. Does it make sense? No! But it was a part of me, then, in an intense period of study when I learned that the human eye can recognise 70 million different colours. (Skip the next bit if you want to.)


The finding of that four-year-old poem coincided with the purchase this last Thursday of some silk sari ribbon (pictured above) from Crafty Notions at the 'Sewing for Pleasure' show at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham - an annual pilgramage for me where I stock up with all manner of enticing materials and supplies. I did not know what these beautiful ribbons of silk were called and neither did I know they could be purchased in the UK, so spotting them on a stall was an incredible piece of luck. I had squirreled away such few pieces as I had acquired, wrappings around gifts from my dear creative friend Kristin Steiner, now living in North Carolina. I snip tiny pieces of her gifted ribbons and incorporate them into fabric keepsakes. Now I have my own stash of colour magic.

Such irridescence, kingfisher wings, exotic butterflies, birds of paradise and peacock tails: all manner of loveliness waiting to adorn my journals or be trapped in stitch on fabric pages. The finding of my poem and a source of the ribbon happened within a day of each other; they seemed to complement each other, hence this post. Normally I would post about things creative on my other blog, but bright, shining colour at this time of year gives such a lift to the spirit, brings joy to minds dulled from weeks of endless pastel cold, that I wanted to share it with all my blog followers.

To whom of course I owe such a debt for sustaining me through a difficult winter. I must have my laptop fixed or rather set up in such a way that I can email out of an evening,and say 'thankyou' individually. Meanwhile, thankyou again. I may be absent from blogging for a few weeks; I have a rigourous schedule and time is running out for all the necessary preparation. Which does not mean I will not be thinking of you all. I will, and will catch up on my return.

P.S. This has turned into a blog of links! Links are useful - if you want to check them out, but somehow interrupt the flow of what the post about. In future I think I will put a link list at the end of a posting - what do you think?


15 comments:

  1. beautiful poem and at first i thought the picture above was a painting, the colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous colors! Browsing the vendor booths at quilt shows and exhibitions is a pleasure. Fibers are much more vibrant 'in person'.
    You speak of being dulled by pastel cold - we experience the opposite in Florida - green fatigue. I think we need the contrast of change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those colors are just gorgeous. and your poem exquisite. may the few weeks ahead bring you time to rest and breathe too. happy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright shades, the marvelous colors of life, sustain us daily. Yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the posts as part of the text, at least that's my recommendation. If we're interested we can always go back to them,. At least that's what I do. Thanks for all your wonderful words and thoughts about colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post and picture. Your links weren't an interruption at all - they fit right in. 'Is one life sufficient' - isn't that just so true?! about so many wonders in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a textile artist Ann - and that picture sends me into ecstasies - silk just has such a rich depth of colour, doesn't it. I love the poem too. Thanks for visiting my blog. It is good to be back in blogland again. Thank you for your good wishes when my back was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun and lovely to find these colors and words.

    you strike me as wise and hopeful. i hope that serves you well!

    this rapsody of color brought me back to paris, where the sidewalk vendors sold fabrics from all over the world. it was orgasmic to hehold.

    with love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colours of these are so inspiring! Birmingham sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy the way you write your poems--they seem very spontaneous with images and words leaping onto the page.
    The heap of colored silks reminds me that I miss looking at my fabrics these many weeks while they are packed away. This little cottage is short on space for my crafting area and outdoor work is the priority just now. When I can access my quilt fabrics and books again, I know I will simply enjoy their colorful presence and the enticing possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks for stopping by - so very pleased to meet you. You sound like an incredible lady. I love your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your story with me your rooms sound intriguing and beautiful, I love the jewels of fabric at the beginning of your post they are amazing.
    Hugs Lynn xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The gorgeous colour of the silk is so vibrant. Lovely poem. I see I have arrived at the moment you are going on a blog break (typical timing for me lol!). Enjoy the Spring and see you soon ... :0)

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just found you...and YOU have inspired me. Your blog(s) are wonderful and I love your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the colours! This has brightened up my life no end. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete