Thursday, 24 December 2009

Waiting for tomorrow


Usually, on Christmas Eve, I am frantically rushing from one last minute activity to another, but this year have thought it more appropriate to calm down. Which doesn't mean I am ready for tomorrow; not a bit of it: vegetables and roast joint to prepare just for the two of us, mince pies still to make, presents to wrap. I am thinking how strange it feels without small children scrambling noisily around us. But then our beloved three are now aged 48, 46 and 38! so it's been a long time since that pleasurable anticipation of the bustle of Christmas Day has invaded the quiet of the evning before. Now that the grandchildren are growing up as well (nine of them, aged 16 down to 5), it is even difficult to get all three families together simultaneously in one place. Yes we shall see them all during the coming week; the young ones will play carols for us on a variety of instruments, and sing; and update us on all their news and achievements. We will eat and be merry, exchange simple gifts, and be glad that we have all survived another year.

our Christmas cake, which I only finished icing an hour ago - hope it sets in time for tea!

Greetings to all Bloggers - and a heartfelt thankyou to all who follow my two blogs, and who leave me such precious comments.  With love and best wishes from an elderly granny sitting by the fire knitting herself a warm hat, but still the same irrepressible  'wild child' she has always been.

13 comments:

  1. i hope you have a wonderful holiday...the cake looks beautiful and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to you, as well. It is different without little children, isn't it? Our holidays are very quiet now that most of the family has moved away to different states. We mostly exchange gifts and eat a nice, quiet meal. Kids and grandkids are the essence of Christmas, and we have neither. I hope your holidays are warm and full of cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a recent follower of your blog, I would like to wish you a wonderful, peaceful Christmas-time. Here's to a happy, healthy New Year!

    Willow xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm and Peaceful Holidays to you from Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very pleased that our paths have crossed in a sea where it is easy to be lost among the so many blogs there are.

    I look forward to our continued association in 2010 and being part of your life.

    Warmest regards this holiday season and all the best for 2010,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a nice Christmas Day. It seems that you are well on the way toward that goal.

    (Cake looks wonderful, save me a piece?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely cake. I hope that you have a lovely Christmas when your children and grandchildren call by. I have my family around me and couldn't be happier.

    All the best for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many of us are rethinking holiday priorities, especially with children well grown up.
    How lovely it might be on Christmas Eve to sit with a mug of tea and nice music! I had the music and tea but made the mistake of trying to finish some sewing that didn't really need doing.
    Wishing you a fine holdiay season and good health as winter settles in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh. I wish I could stop in for a cuppa and slice of that beautiful cake. It sounds like you have lovely plans for the holiday week. Have a creative 2010

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas!! ((hugs)) and warm thoughts to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you a merry and cosy Christmas-time, and a safe and happy New Year. The cake looks scrumptious, and knitting a warm hat seems like a perfect Christmas Eve activity to me. (How can you have snow in Somerset, while in Toronto we have none to speak of yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that you have enjoyed a good and restful Christmas. I`m sure that cake was delicious!

    ReplyDelete