Sunday, 25 October 2009

Recuperation complete

view down the valley towards Knighton (Powys) - England on the left of picture, Wales on the right (my little camera does not do justice to the stunning view)

We have had such a wonderful few days away, on the Welsh/Shropshire border (in the Middle March), staying on the campsite of our dear acquaintance, Jocelyn, and her husband Jim - a sheep farmer whose land straddles England and Wales, on the upper reaches of the River Teme, and towards the skyline, along a part of  Offa's Dyke. No work, but art-journaling, and delicious food prepared in our cosy caravan; rain and more rain, but it did not matter. I crashed out, wrote and read, took photographs (poor!) and retreated into myself. The last poem I wrote before heading for home on Saturday (yesterday), is my Monday offering for poetry aficionados, ahead of time, because tomorrow morning I will be back at work and also stitching like crazy to finish a fabric keepsake for the birthday next Saturday of one of my grand-daughters. Our little holiday was perfect, but as always, it's good to be home.


the last picture I took on Friday evening, before settling down for a final quiet few hours in our caravan; as I walked upstream, a heron lazily rose from the water's edge and flapped towards trees just out of view to the left. I spotted my first water-ouzel, watched a trout hang motionless in the water, maintaining position with scarcely moving fins,  and had hoped for the electric-blue flash of a kingfisher. Another time, perhaps; we must return soon - it's been twelve years or more since we were last here.

19 comments:

  1. a beautiful spot. I love "a greening of my very being." the whole poem is soothing in tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely visit. Great poetry. Thanks for sharing this trip to the Welsh/Shropshire area. Glad you holiday was a good one. Now get back to sewing! - Jeanne in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive me but I am near tears when reading your excellent prose. How you make use of the English language is a pure delight as I read the words that flowed from heart and mind onto the page.

    Even your description under the last photograph is a treasured gem of a beauty.

    The skill of good language seems to fail most people these days, at least here, I find refuge, a little inspiration, but mostly mental enrichment.

    Thank you and truly have a wonderful week
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have just left a long comment and it didnt work...i am afraid delicious meals are not on our menu...pasta and sauce...i am waiting for the rain to pass to go to the loo...happily visitng blog friends...i wonder if we could visit on the was back on thursday...hope this one gets to you from a cliff top campsite in cornwall...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful views, and atmospheric words. Knighton is always a turning off our road to a distant somewhere-else. One of these days, we will make time to explore the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Ann. What a comfy cozy evening, where the quiet is one of the old guests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like in-and-out breathing. i read it and feel soothed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this...so tranquil! With your words and the photograph, I can almost feel the light breeze upon my face and hear nature's whisperings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so serene and peaceful.An antidote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your poem.There is a slowing down and a sigh of relaxation in it.

    Such a beautiful valley. I have been reading Mary Webb today. I wonder if she knew this lovely spot?

    ReplyDelete
  11. we have looked at the map and a vist to you is the perfect place to break our journey...we will leave here early in the morning but the traffic has been bad and the van goes very sloooooooowly. Pete thinks we can make it for mid afternoon and then its 4 hours to home from yours....it would be lovely to meet you...perhaps you can help me with my knitting I am scratching my head with this chevron pattern...grr...we will be disheveled...but will have tales to tell...we will ring on the way on thursday...love and hugs Helen and the gang...(have you seen the post on the van yet)

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely wonderful. Solitude really aids recouperation and you beautiful poem sums it up brilliantly.
    Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful poem Ann. Speaks of the rest and quiet and filling up you clearly had on this trip. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds a perfect break to me Ann and obviously inspirational for your writing. Wales has that effect. Come again and rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect relaxing break which I was able to live through your words and photographs - thank you Ann - you always sound so grounded in your world! (At least when technology doesn't break down!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found you via Cocoa and Blankets - what a wonderful, wonderful blog you have here! Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to meet you, I've just come from kj's place. Beautiful countryside. I imagine it must have been very restful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely blog - pleased to have found you!

    ReplyDelete