Friday, 11 September 2009

Friendship



Oh the joy of working in the garden again, as I have all day, clearing space for a new greenhouse; of being outside once more after a long 'office week' indoors. The sun has been shining; it has been warm with a cloudless blue sky, birds overhead and the earthy smell of our bonfire woodsmoke in the air.

It was just such a day eight years ago, on 11th September 2001, when, as I was driving home mid-afternoon from shopping in town, half-listening to the car radio, I caught the news that "a light aircraft has flown into a New York skyscraper". Increasing disbelief as the tragedy of the Twin Towers unfolded and the enormity of the situation was revealed.

I was reminded of the horror only this last week when I watched on tv '9/11: 102 minutes that changed America'. A remarkable film, but to understand the thought processes of people who can commit such a diabolical crime is beyond belief. What happened to love? I still feel for everyone who was hurt by this atrocity, cannot truly contemplate their individual grief and pain. So I sit quiet in the garden for a while and write a poem, "On this day ...", which I will not share publicly for fear my words might upset anyone (though I will gladly send it personally to anyone who asks). Maybe it is insensitive of me to even remark upon 9/11, but I cannot get it out of my head. Far over the Atlantic, yet NY is only six hours away, and but a nano-second in the mind.

I reflect on the difference between destruction, peace, and consideration for others, and what it means to give pleasure. I bake a Friendship Cake for our tea and offer a sweet morsel, metaphorically, to all who care to share the true meaning of humanity.


9 comments:

  1. Your friendship cake is a wonderful idea. I hope it cuts into many pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please would you share your poem with me? I live outside Washington and knew the copilot of United 77 and camp with NYFD paramedics each year, and am still quite devastated each year on the anniversary. I too cannot fathom the desire to kill and destroy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have every right to comment Ann. That day affected millions not even remotely close to it. It has changed our world. Despite the horror there was a lot of good that came in the way people responded. There is a beautiful walk in Orta, Italy dedicated to 9.11. How amazing that a small town at the foot of the alps would do something like that.

    Your cake looks yummy, and I am happy for your sunny day in the garden. Thank you for all the pleaseure you and Raymond have given us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about 9/11 the other day when one of my girls asked why we were no longer having a minutes silence..."have we forgotten...doesnt it matter any more? " she asked....we should never be allowed to forget...thank you for reminding us all...I hope you are well my friend...every blessing H

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to make this friendship cake. Are the flowers edible, they must be I think. I am enjoying your websites and thank you for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou dear friends for your comments: I was so hesitant to post about this. The friendship cake just seemed to me like a good idea, and yes, the flowers ARE edible - violets and primroses which I prepare in the spring and keep in an airtight container. I will add the 'recipe' for them to my website Cookbook pages as soon as I can. Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog through Two Dresses Studio and I have been captivated by the English countryside and your wonderful and charming garden. I will have to return again and read what your have written.

    Wishing you a beautiful day
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, thank you for visiting my fairly new blog and leaving a comment. I wish I could have eaten a piece of your friendship cake on 9/11-- what a nice remembrance gesture. I visited London and Edinburgh in June and loved the whole trip. my son who lives in NYC USA married a girl from Dunlap Scotland and and some of your photos reminded me of rambling around the tiny small town and the beautiful garden wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ann,
    I'm so glad to hear you talk of your garden and the joy it gives you.
    Lead by example that's all we can do.
    Susanx

    ReplyDelete