Monday, 18 May 2009

Followers


I switch on the laptop this evening, fully intending to explain what I have been doing since I wrote my previous post, nearly three weeks ago, and WOW – I HAVE 40 FOLLOWERS! I could cry with happiness. Let me explain: I began to write ‘Wild Somerset Child’ in November 2008 because I was commissioned to produce a magazine article on ‘creating a gardening blog’. As always, I research, I sample, I experiment. I created a simple one using the apple-mac ‘iWeb’ facilities already at my disposal, and also casually mentioned other blog hosting programs. I complete and submit the article – the usual two months ahead of publication date; and then I think to myself, “I have recommended ‘Blogger’ and perhaps I had better get to grips with it.” Oh what cold feet … I was petrified: supposing no-one read what I posted, and readers logged on and I was found wanting.

And so began a love-affair with cyberspace; with dear people I have got to know from around the globe because they have so kindly looked at my postings, made comments, and added themselves to a list of followers. When I began, I was so afraid that no-one would ‘follow’ – and now I have reached that magical figure (akin to a 40th birthday - and mine was over thirty years ago). I feel as if I have arrived.

So thankyou to everyone who sufficiently believes in what I write to tag onto the list; and hello today to Claire, my 40th follower (a talented and gifted UK garden designer who was to have figured in today’s intended posting, and will do so when I return to what I had planned for this evening), and hello also to ‘follower 39’ whose name/blog-link I cannot discover. I have been a poor blog-friend since I began my postings: meticulously organised when it comes to ‘work’, I am totally disorganised in personal affairs, so I apologise if I have offended any follower from 1-38 by not saying ‘hello’ and ‘thankyou’.

As to the significance of the photo: my  beloved Malvern Hills to which I return three times a year to review and write articles on events occurring at ‘TCAS’ – the showground of the ‘Three Counties Agricultural Society’. Until my next posting, the hills will have to suffice, for it grows late and I have been writing all day.

12 comments:

  1. First to comment? Glad to! Your blog is so much fun because I get to travel without leaving my chair. And I can watch you and your husband working in the garden and not have to lift a finger. The Malvern hills look wonderful. Continue to lead us through your paradise! Best from Oregon - Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering how your garden is getting along? And your seed beds? I bet the wild bit is aboput 2ft higher now! ;) Especially after all that rain we've been having.

    Malvern Hills look lovely, never been there. I have my favourite places in the Peak District!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to reach 40 followers.. other bloggers will know how excited and pleased this made you feel. There may be some who say they care not about followers, comments and so on, but inside I bet they do. Whilst it's wonderful to be able to sit and write down the minutae and so on of one's everyday life, it's gratifying when someone reads it and leaves a comment.. not essential, but the icing on the cake really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new at this , too, but I'm having fun "meeting" people from all over the world who share my interests. I'm still trying to get the hang of the technical parts of blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your posts. I'm glad you have reached a 40 follower mark. There will be more I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun to read this - what a blogging adventure and what a nerve!!! congratulations and I think you deserve everyone of your 41 followers! I love hearing about the Malvern Hills- where I come from many years ago (as you know) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my lovely lovely friend thank you so much for the gifts they made ..what has been quite and unpleasent day...the greatest gift was your lovely lovely letter...I love letters and we so rarely receive them these days..Pollys present remains in its tissue as for once I am home first...poor soul has gone to sit at the back of daddys Japanese lesson as I was at school watching and marking another show....which made me weep with prde and love for my dear dear students....I am doing some paper mache tomorow as I have three more jars of lovel to make so I will put some of your napkins on my journal...I think I will use it at work to keep things in...I am always putting things down...bit of paper and what not then dont know where they are...or maybe I will use it at the fair...hmmm will put some thought to it...lots of love and kisses being sent from yorkshire...ps we are coming to cornwall in october...nowhere near you is it? I only got a C in Geography.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel. I feel such a fraud becasue I know I am very ordinary and am so flattered that people read and comment. Humble even.Slightly worried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann I am so glad you blog. you have so much to say and we all enjoy your writing. You give me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope your hands are not too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know Ann, I don't know if I am an "official" follower, but I do follow with joy your postings here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, as Jackie says it's humbling!
    Congratulations, you deserve 40 and 40 more followers, I thoroughly enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete