Thursday, 16 April 2009

Notes from Here and There

(taken on our day out - part work, part play)

In my Easter posting, I referred to the fabric book I am creating to celebrate the forty years we have lived in our Cotswold Farmhouse. I have now explained how the idea of the book came about - a moment of pure serendipity - in my Journaling blog. It has spurred me forward, trying to create just a little 'art' everyday, whether it be visual or in words; the two all meld together eventually.

Today was no exception. It was the start of our 'Show' season, during which we travel to events and places that subsequently become integrated into the magazine features I am commissioned to write; Raymond comes with me to catalogue the events photographically (though usually the blog pictures are my snapshots). Our Malvern year began with the first of four shows: this today a one-day event ('CountryTastic'), intended for families with young children, and billed as 'Introducing food, farming and the countryside'. Despite the persistent rain, I was so pleased we went; it was a lovely, modest little show with children clamouring to experience all that was on offer, from making bread and spinning yarn to decorating eggs or searching for bugs and snails in a sandpit full of oak leaves. I met familiar faces from past Malvern shows, and made new contacts - fascinating people doing all they can to keep a knowledge of the British countryside alive whilst encouraging healthy eating. Sad that if you did not bring a picnic, all that was on offer was a very expensive burger bar with chips at an exorbitant price!

(focus on children, and happy learning)

(they really did find bugs and snails in these oak leaves)

As ever, my story begins before we leave home, when I prepare a journal in which I will record my thoughts and experiences. Travelling there holds as much magic as arriving; a cushion between home chores and the anticipation of what we will find in the little world that is 'The Showground'. And so yesterday, I made a mini 6"x6" book from paper bags and acrylic paints, complete with integral pockets. My challenge will be to finish it whilst simultaneously working on various forthcoming articles; something I find tricky for I am working in two or more genres at once. Within three weeks, we will be back for the four days of the 'Malvern Spring Flower Show'; our showground year continues in earnest.

(my new paper journal, to which I will add notes from all the four Malvern shows we will be attending this year)

It may seem strange that when I have a journaling blog, I still post snippets about my artwork in this blog. But journaling and journals are a part of my life and so the two blogs will invariably interlink, and may even appear to duplicate each other. For that I can only apologise, and hope that nevertheless my 'journeyings' will be of interest, no matter on which blog they appear.

10 comments:

  1. I think this is great! I can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children look very interested in what is on offer. You are a multi-talented woman indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoyed this post and like Cait said you definately are a multi-talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the photo of the children digging through the leaves. Making bread! what a great idea. Keeping them busy and they are learning it does not always come from the store. Best to you on your travels - Jeanne in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the country and country living are still there for the children - you are a very busy woman Ann - your journal looks very wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enthralled, can't wait to see next post regarding your journals. They look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post - I was born in Malvern and it brought back many memories of my childhood! I am sure you must have passed by or even talked to distant relatives - thank you Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post - I agree with you so much on the horrors of having only burger food at a show like this, just mad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou to everyone who has commented; it was such a lovely day out, combining work and play, and the anticipation of the day to come through preparing the little journal pages. Two days later and I am moving on with the Malvern journal - will post results on my journaling blog. As always, my projects expand as I say to myself 'what if' and go off at a tangent as I trial this and that. Maybe that is where I go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read both blogs when I can and enjoy them both. I'd love to read some of your published articles as well.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete