Sunday, 15 February 2009

The end (almost) of a good weekend



A milestone has been reached: kitchen part-tidied (a huge effort on my part), laundry done and draped in the bathroom to dry, more art journaling accomplished (see my other blog), software installed on my laptop so I am 'in business' again - and the snow has nearly all gone leaving something of a river (well, rivulet at least) running though the orchard. I was on the point of taking pics of the sorry state of the garden; old herbaceous stems and stalks weighted down by the heavy snow will not spring back again; I had only left them as cover and food for the wild birds, anyway. It was warm enough to work outside, but there was too much still calling me indoors.

As to the Valentine's Day tea; it was warm and cosy by the fire. The cake was .... mmm ... interesting - full of fruit but somewhat lacking. Then I realised  I had used PLAIN flour instead of the SELF-RAISING detailed in the recipe! How could I have done that when I have been making this cake for years and years? Quite easily it would seem. I put it down to computer-stress (!!); Raymond was very complimentary and said it was delicious, but I thought it was awful. (I can't think how I come by two identical photos in this post - I changed the layout but couldn't seem to cancel the one I didn't want. Makes a nice pattern!)

Here's to a good week for all you dear bloggers.

9 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience making biscuits, but using cornstarch (!) instead of baking powder! I am certain even Raymond wouldn't have been able to rise to a compliment on those. (No pun intended, but got it in nevertheless.) Jeanne in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. your pic of tea makes me want to set such a cozy table myself! we are so slap-dash here - have a fabulous week, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just how I imagined you having tea together - perhaps you didn't need 'raising'!! What a lovely Raymond not to notice (or to say anything)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tea table looks so lovely. Oh so often have I used wrong ingredients. Ah well, still...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm I posted a bit ago but it disappeared somewhere :)
    Love your table and the china is gorgeous.. sorry about the cake tho.. it looks delicious even if you didn't think so :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I too will be following yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved the beauty of this table setting. And the love baked in the cake is what made it lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure Raymond was right in that it was delicious. And please tell him what a great picture that is. Two exceptional artists in one house! B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I spent Saturday afternoon cleaning up without disturbing the dirt and swapping out stuff in workroom. Must be what happens when the weather changes, even temporarily.
    What a comfortable room. Thanks for those details. ABG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ann,
    I'm reading your lovely blog and I loved it!!!! Your style, ideas, words, are so warm and cozy!!! I live in Brasilia, Brazil but I'm very like as 'connected' with the England and Commonwhealt things, since my childhood interacting with families of English/Scotish/American Protestant missionaries. So, I love places and ways of life from these peoples. Greetings from Keila Lucy.

    ReplyDelete